[Community-Discuss] 2019 Board Elections: Fix against having sole candidates WAS Re: AFRINIC Borad Elections

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 13:10:08 UTC 2019

Hello Ahmed Fadl and the community,

Soliciting for votes is not really a problem, indeed if the proposed
candidates have strengths that will be of use to the Board, AfriNIC Ltd
and the community at large, their promoters and campaign team can work
hard at members buy-in for their proposed candidates without running
other candidates down.

In this case, what I find disturbing are:

1. That there is an undocumented strategy

2. That the fielding of sole candidates by NOMCOM was part of that
undocumented strategy.

3. That other strategies may probably have been deployed in the past.

My take on all the issues are that:

For 1. ... "Buyers Beware". Enough said.

For 2, ... we need to fix that, and fix it as soon as possible.

I propose the following fixes:

a) NOMCOM should not only present volunteers, it should seek qualified
and experienced candidates who will consent to serving on the Board.

b) Those who will nominate candidates must seek the concurrence of the
candidates before nominating, to eliminate the step of seeking the
consent of the candidates after nominations.

c) Where there is only one candidate after all said and done, the
members should be able to reject such a candidate at the Ballot

d) Where candidates are rejected, the incumbent should serve for a
maximum of 90 more days, within which an online election should be
conducted to fill the vacant seats

Do we need to change the bylaws? I don't think so. The proposed fix can
go into the AfriNIC election guideline, as allowed by the existing
bylaw. It should be shared with the members and the community early, and
approved promptly towards the next election.

For item 3, ... Perhaps it is too early to comment. Let us grab some
pop-corn and stayed tuned to this movie channel.

Sunday.

On 03/07/2019 12:14 PM, Ahmed Fadl wrote:

> Hi Wafa,

> Thanks for your email.

> I, among other members of AFRINIC in Egypt, received the following

> email from you many times.

> I wondered at that time why should I vote for these candidates

> specially for those in Eastern and Southern regions while each one was

> the sole candidate in his region. I quote this from your email "Ladies

> and Gentlemen, in the context of our strategy ...." what is your

> strategy and who are you ?

> If you are talking about biasing the community, So, do you consider

> your email as a "member of the appeal committee; ASO / AC excom member

> and Ex Chair of Governance Committee '(GC) at AFRINIC." fall under what ?

> I sent this mail many time but I don’t know why I can’t find this mail

> on community

> Thanks,

> Ahmed Fadl

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com