[Community-Discuss] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals (off-topic)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jul 1 18:08:47 UTC 2019

Hi SM,

Responding from my own perspective, hopefully is useful.

I think "independent" is not easy to find, and is not related to a specific region.

But here are some "numbers" based on my own experience (from my customers networks, so independent on the sense of "not just one case").

This also follows numbers that other operators (not just my customers) have confirmed, for example in v6ops and other foras.

If you deploy CGN (so you want to stay with IPv4 artificially) instead of IPv6, you need CGN boxes to cover 100% of your traffic. Add to this the necessary IPv4 pools for each CGN box. The IPv4 pools will cost money when AFRINIC can't source those anymore.

If you deploy an IPv6-only with IPv4-as-a-Service (464XLAT, MAP-T/E, lw4o6, DS-Lite), because the IPv4-only traffic accounts only for the 24%, you only need 1/4 of the "equivalent" box to the CGNs (NAT64, BR, lw4o6, etc.), and probably less than 1/4 of the IPv4 addresses.

So, I will bet that you can save in terms of IPv4 addresses and operator infrastructure, with a good knowledge and planning of what are you doing, up to 75%. If your network is mainly residential, because the IPv6 availability in CDNs and caches is in those cases up to 85%, savings can be even bigger.

In addition to that, there are some advantages such as the opex savings. It is less expensive to manage IPv6-only with IPv4aaS across your network than pure dual-stack. May be not 50% savings, but still impacting a lot.

Some transition mechanisms make a more efficient use of the number of ports (and do not limit how many per customer), so consequently you even need less IPv4 addresses, this is for example the case, in my experience, of 464XLAT.

We have some considerations about this at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lmhp-v6ops-transition-comparison/
(new version coming in a matter of hours ... working on it already!)

And by the way, if you need to buy CPEs, please, make sure to ask for RFC8585 support if you want to be safe and save more money!

All this may be a bit different depending on the transition mechanism that you choose, and also depending on a broadband-only network, % of residential customers vs business ones (if they require pure dual-stack), cellular or a mix of all those. And of course, what quality of service (number of ports per customer in the CGN or alike) you want to "provide".

I know I'm not talking about USD here, because that depends a lot on many factors, case by case:
1) How much you pay for the CGN or alike (NAT64, BR, lw4o6, etc.) boxes.
2) Do you need to replace the CPEs or you have got them already with IPv6 support.
3) May be existing boxes in your network already do some of the CGN or alike (NAT64, BR, lw4o6, etc.) functions.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 1/7/19 18:24, "S. Moonesamy" <sm+af at afrinic.net> escribió:

    Dear Lee,
    At 08:59 AM 28-06-2019, Lee Howard wrote:
    >A company can save money on IPv4 addresses and CGN by deploying
    >IPv6. But it's too late to deploy IPv6 before Afrinic runs out of
    >addresses. Addresses will run out, and the market will not be able
    >to satisfy the need for addresses. ISPs and mobile carriers
    >everywhere in Africa will have to deploy CGN, and at higher density
    >than elsewhere in the world. The cost for businesses to connect will
    >be much higher, since they need inbound access and therefore unique
    >IPv4 addresses. African Internet deployment will stall, all because
    >IPv6 has not been deployed and there is no way to get more IPv4 addresses.

    Is there any independent study to show that a company in this service
    region can save money by deploying IPv6?

    Regards,
    S. Moonesamy