[Community-Discuss] [Ext] Re: Community-Discuss Digest, Vol 547, Issue 1

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Sun Dec 8 20:09:18 UTC 2019

Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

[...]

> Whois is data that is published generally, so your comments here

> about DPR don’t really apply.

> Such WHOIS dumps are available from RIPE, so I don’t think it is a

> GDPR issue at all.

Both AFRINIC and RIPE NCC public database dumps on their FTP sites but the RIPE NCC data is cleaned to remove more person data than the AFRINIC data dumps. The AFRINIC data includes the unique nic-hdl of contacts for resources but the dumps published by the RIPE NCC replace the unique nic-hdl with DUMY-RIPE:

person: Placeholder Person Object
address: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
address: P.O. Box 10096
address: 1001 EB Amsterdam
address: The Netherlands
phone: +31 20 535 4444
nic-hdl: DUMY-RIPE
mnt-by: RIPE-DBM-MNT
remarks: **********************************************************
remarks: * This is a placeholder object to protect personal data.
remarks: * To view the original object, please query the RIPE
remarks: * Database at:
remarks: * http://www.ripe.net/whois
created: 2009-11-11T16:36:07Z
last-modified: 2009-11-11T16:36:07Z