[Community-Discuss] The Looting of AFRINIC

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Dec 5 13:10:48 UTC 2019

I would be very curious to hear from a legal perspective what - if any - legal liability AfriNIC has in a situation like this.

The fact is - space has value - and if space is stolen - used for spam or whatever else - and the reputation of said space is damaged - it’s value decreases. Now I fully realize that space can be hijacked - and at that point potentially the hijackers may hold the liability. However - when the space seems to have been stolen and sold off by a staff member of the organization that is meant in effect to the curator of the space - I question if there is not a liability issue at play if it can be proven that due care was not taken to safe guard against the actions taken.

I’m no lawyer though so I would really be interested to know the legal perspective - can an rir be held liable to the actions of its staff if it did not adequately protect against the actions taken.

Andrew