[Community-Discuss] Spearheading Internet Development in Africa / Late commentary on fee discussion

Coenraad Loubser coenraad at zenzeleni.net
Sun Sep 30 21:59:09 UTC 2018

Hi Again Mr. Moonesamy

> Dear Mr Loubser,
> At 06:56 PM 29-09-2018, Coenraad Loubser wrote:
>
>> I would like to add that we wholeheartedly support the current
>> recommendations - and that they do perhaps provide enough of a platform to
>> address the issue.
>>

> Thank you for the feedback on that section.
>
> The caveat is that, for an LIR, there is still the initial hurdle to
>> cross, that has not been "smoothed out", and which the suggested provision
>> can "smooth out" - which I would like to unpack more.
>>

> I'll comment below.
>
> Also, the addition of a clause such as the revenue-based one proposed
>> could potentially free up the board and/or CEO from having to consider a
>> number of individual applications - something that could also be a
>> restricting factor if the opportunities for such reviews are spaced too far
>> apart, or if they turn out to be too time consuming. Ie. if an ISP is
>> starting up, and can be convinced to get its own ASN, but has to wait some
>> months before it can actually get it, it might just start without it and
>> conclude that it's not really necessary - and only revisit the benefits
>> much later when truly necessary - or never.
>>

> Is the time taken for getting approval for a discount a major factor for
> getting a new LIR to have its own ASN?  It looks like the other parts of
> setting up the operation could take more time; I am assuming that there
> isn't sequential processing.
>
> This is not tested of course, I was just making a projection as the policy
recommendation is for concessions to require board or CEO approval - a
trickle might develop into a constant stream waiting for approval if we
motivate each of the networks we work with to apply - but from the great
responsiveness on this list it seems clear that this will not be an issue.

I suppose that there is another side to this is - and that is the
>> possibility for "fly-by-night" ASNs - or ones created to be used for
>> nefarious purposes and then discarded. although I am not sure if there is a
>> blanket control for the board to reject an any application, is there? Then
>> again, going through the trouble of setting up a company, licensing it,
>> getting the financials in place, and applying for the concession, setting
>> up peering - is likely enough of a deterrent.
>>

> ASN requests are handled by the member services department.  The policies
> which are used to evaluate the requests are set by the Policy Development
> Working Group.  I could not think of a reason to be involved in a decision
> about the approval of such a request.  As a comment about "blanket
> control", the usual approach at Board-level is to see that there are
> adequate organizational processes.

Of course.

> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy

I hope everyone is looking forward to welcoming many new networks into our
fold - and seeing that latency between the African coasts drop - I am
looking forward to see Community Networks surprise us with their role in
this and other access issues.

--
Coenraad Loubser

Office: <+27435552028> +27 (0)43 555 2028 <+27435552028>
Mobile: +27 (0) 73 772 1223 <+27737721223>
Skype: coenraad_loubser Twitter: @dagelf

*Zenzeleni Networks NPC *zenzeleni.net
- Best Innovation with Social Impact Award winner, Innovation Bridge 2017
- Community Favorite, Mozilla Equal Rating Innovation Challenge 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxTPSWMX26M