[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Faulty result for Western Africa in AfriNIC AGMM Elections

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu May 17 09:08:42 UTC 2018

I disagree with your first paragraph. I was a Board Member when "None of
the Above" was introduced. I was also often on NomCom. The simple idea
behind "None of the Above" is simply that - None of the above - that's
everyone (natural persons) listed on that ballot. It's not just for the
case where there is only one name on the ballot.

On 17/05/2018 06:57, Andrew Alston wrote:

> I concur with what Owen has said,
>

> While I do not dispute the none of the above option may have been
> incorrectly on the ballot – it was there – and electronic voting was
> open for a period of 2 odd weeks before the AGMM, and during the AGMM,
> and this point was never raised.  As a result, people chose an option
> that was on the ballot – had it not been there, they may have chosen
> the other candidate, and as such, that could change the result of the
> entire election for that seat.   Therefore, it would be entirely
> inappropriate to choose the next highest candidate – and would
> disenfranchise the 80 odd people who were under the impression they
> were voting for an entirely legitimate option.
>

> As such, if we wish to dispute the result of the election a full week
> after it has happened, and despite two weeks of time to dispute it
> when we were all fully aware of what was on the ballot, the only
> option is to nullify the election for that seat and hold it again at
> the next AGMM – which leaves us back at the status quo.
>

> I do think this may be a good time to make certain observations to
> this community so that we can start a discussion about the process
> moving forward.
>

>  1. We cannot elect directors at an SGMM – section 13.4 of the bylaws
>     makes explicit reference to the Annual General Members Meeting,
>     and this is further enforced by the fact that the Annual General
>     Members Meeting term that is used is explicitly defined in the
>     definitions.
>  2. We are not quorate for an AGMM – Section 12.10.ii is explicit in
>     setting the quorum and makes reference to “directors */_elected to
>     represent a region_/*” – as such, an AGMM to elect directors
>     cannot happen – and this precludes using directors appointed under
>     clause 13.14 to meet the quorum requirements (they are not elected
>     directors, they are appointed directors, those are entirely
>     different things)
>  3. AFRINIC therefore is required to pass a special resolution at an
>     SGMM via super-majority vote to amend the bylaws to allow for
>     election of directors outside of an AGMM.
>  4. There is an alternative to option C in the fact that a special
>     resolution could be passed without an SGMM occurring – however –
>     this would require 75% of the **entire** member base to vote in
>     favour (not 75% of voting members), effectively meaning you would
>     require roughly 1130 votes in favour to do this – which I hardly
>     think is practical.
>

> The question therefore becomes – what special resolution would members
> be prepared to vote in favour of – because a special resolution
> **has** to happen to get us quorate again – and failing that – AFRINIC
> will not be able to hold an AGMM – and will not be able to meet its
> statutory requirements come next year.  I also point out that thanks
> to clause 7.7 of the bylaws – the board itself **cannot** adjust the
> bylaws any longer in unilateral form.

> [...]

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496