[Community-Discuss] Faulty result for Western Africa in AfriNIC AGMM Elections

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Wed May 16 17:24:41 UTC 2018

Greetings All,

I am looking at the BoD election process and it seems to me that the recent e-mail from the Board Chair seeking nominations for vacant seats should not be extended to Western Africa.

The particular clause I am referring to is in 9.2 - https://afrinic.net/en/community/elections/bod-election/process <https://afrinic.net/en/community/elections/bod-election/process>

> Elections will be closed as soon as the last member or proxy present in the meeting room casts his/her vote. Candidates with the highest number of votes in each category will be declared winners

I see from the list for West Africa that the candidate with the highest number of votes should have been declared winner and this is Dr Ousmane Tessa.  (btw, Dr Adewale Adedokun needs his name spelt correctly)

> Western Africa - Seat 2
> Dr Adelawe Abedekon - 43
> Dr Ousmane Moussa Tessa - 56
> None of the above - 78
> Result: The seat is vacant

The results from the other regions are valid and supported by the following clause as they had one candidate.
> All open positions shall be subject to an election process even if there is only one candidate. In that event, if the option [none of the above] got more votes than the only candidate, then the seat shall be considered vacant and the Board will be requested to apply provisions of the Bylaws to temporarily fill the vacant seat.

Can AfriNIC and the nomcom please clarify?   We should not deprive Dr Tessa of a rightful win …. especially in the circumstances we find ourselves.

Omo