[Community-Discuss] [rpd] proposition de politique

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 8 12:28:42 UTC 2018

When I said bylaws, I was actually thinking in membership agreement, but actually either way (or both) may work.

Regards,

Jordi

De: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
Fecha: martes, 8 de mayo de 2018, 12:26
Para: AfriNIC Resource Policy <rpd at afrinic.net>, <community-discuss at afrinic.net>
Asunto: Re: [rpd] proposition de politique

I’ve also the same opinion, in general NIRs are not needed, but I have the feeling that this may be beyond the scope of AfriNIC.

What happen if a country law mandate it? Then AfriNIC members of that country will be mandated by law to go via the NIR.

Of course, you can “strongly discourage” it by means of pieces:

1)      AfriNIC bylaws disallowing NIRs.

2)      There is no mention of NIR in the policy manual, I just looked at it, so if you can reinforce that with a policy proposal that specifically modify the existing definition of LIR.

Actual text:

2.3 Local Internet Registry (LIR)

A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that receives allocations from an RIR and primarily assigns address space to 'end-users'. LIRs are generally ISPs. Their customers are other ISPs and possibly end-users. LIRs must be members of AFRINIC.

Proposed text:

2.3 Local Internet Registry (LIR)

A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that receives allocations from an RIR and primarily assigns address space to 'end-users'. LIRs are generally ISPs. Their customers are other ISPs and possibly end-users. LIRs must be members of AFRINIC and are the only way to allocate resources within the AfriNIC service region.

Regards,

Jordi