[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Board update on Governance Committee Report

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Mon May 7 00:47:21 UTC 2018

Let me add a further comment to what I wrote below,

It is not the fact that I distrust the boards report – it is the fact that the members of this community have absolutely no way to verify what is in the board’s report.  An independent report is exactly that – entirely independent – without interference or modification.

It is quite clear that a report that was written by the board does not meet the criteria for independent investigation as was demanded by the community, and if the board was in fact prepared to honor the bottom up approach that afrinic agreed to when they became signatories to the ICP-2 – they would have honoured the demand for an independent investigation and seen it through to its fulfilment.  Instead – they have chosen to play lip service to the nature of independent investigations and then attempt to convince this community that a report they themselves wrote was independent because it was (if they claims are accurate) BASED on an independent report.

At this point – we do not even know who was hired to conduct the report – we know that the GC had an investigative team do the investigation – but who was it?  Were they free of interference?  Did the board cooperate with the the investigation?  Did the board impede the investigation thereby influencing the report?  We simply cannot answer any of that without a copy of the report – which may well absolve the board of any wrong doing – but it is laughable to expect this community to accept what has been provided – because if the community had that kind of faith in this board – the demand for the investigation would never have occurred in the first place.

Andrew