[Community-Discuss] Universities involvement within AFRINIC (and Internet ecosystem)

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 16:21:18 UTC 2018

Hello dear community,
first of all thank you chairman for the publication of the 2016-2020
strategic plan.

In 2009 - 2013 strategic plan there were two items related to universities :

1. Develop long term relation with academic institutions

2. research and development in collaboration with academic institutions.

They were not achieved unfortunately.

While it's a little far away from today, is it possible to know what
were the issues ?

In this regard, in the current strategic plan on the page related to
AFRINIC market segment (P. 30), no challenges have been identified
concerning universities.

I believe universities (through REN sometimes) should be more involved
in the Internet ecosystem:
 * research and development
 * capacity building
 * ....

From my point of view, it should be a win-win relation but we (the
community) have to attract them and let them understand their role in
the ecosystem.
On the other side I know that universities have A LOT of internal
challenges but with a lot of commitments they can address the various
issues.

Best regards,

--
Willy Manga