[Community-Discuss] Issue with non-AFRINIC Fellowship to Meeting -

Ish Sookun ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu
Mon Dec 10 17:04:56 UTC 2018

Hi Willy,

On 12/10/18 5:30 PM, Willy MANGA wrote:
> The most important here is : if the organization has a fellowship
> program or kind of, I suggested to publish it on their website with
> details (announcements, requirements, results,...).
> AFRINIC, ICANN fellowship program for instance have dedicated pages on
> their respective websites.

I get your point now. It's clearer to me and it makes perfect sense.

> A fellow is bound to some rules put in place by the organization during
> a specific timeline.

Yes, indeed.

> Outside fellowship program, it's another story. But I remind you that
> when you participate in a debate  during face-to-face meeting (either on
> microphone or remotely), you must clearly state your name and your
> affiliation.

Yes. In fact, that was one of the basic rules instructed by the AFRINIC
fellowship team, to state the affiliation. I did miss a few times on the
microphone between saying La Sentinelle (the company I work for) and
stating that I am an AFRINIC fellow.

> Even here on mailing-list it could be a good practice if you use an
> email address according to your affiliation. Especially if you  send
> messages from your corporate email , it should mean you speak on behalf
> of that particular organization. When it's not a corporate email, it
> depends :)

Agreed.

During the meeting though I asked a question to the board members
regarding speakers who stated "speaking in my personal capacity" before
they took the mic. I wondered whether their respective organizations had
a policy/rule on what they could say in such meetings. I also wondered
whether such disclaimers are just informational or they hold a legal value.

However, coming back to the topic of non-AFRINIC Fellowship that
actually sponsors universities, the students could end up stating their
affiliation to the university and not to the sponsoring organization;
the same with the organization name on their attendee badge and other
registration info.

Regards,

Ish Sookun