[Community-Discuss] upcoming elections

jean-baptiste.millogo at orange.com jean-baptiste.millogo at orange.com
Fri Apr 20 18:07:44 UTC 2018

Dear Community

As we are getting closer to AIS in Dakar, there is an important issue that is I would like to raise, issue related to our elections when not taken care of may lead to an institutional crisis.

The bylaw states in 13.8
“13.8 In the event that there is no eligible candidate for a particular region; the Director already in office in the particular seat, shall be deemed to be re-appointed for the period ending with the date of the next election for any seat”.

Policy Development Appeal Committee ToR Section 3.2 states the following
“3.2 Insufficient Candidates
3.2.1. In the event that insufficient candidates with the necessary qualifications are available and willing to serve for any particular seat, the Board shall fill that seat by appointing a person from the AFRINIC community.”

Co-chairs
There is no provision

My questions are the following.

For board, will it be appropriate for a candidate on seat and running again, who gets rejected by majority of "no" votes, to serve another term because of lack of acceptable candidates?

What will we do with the sole candidate for co-chair if get rejected in the vote?

Thanks
JB

Thank you.