[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC and the GDPR

John Walu walu.john at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:07:27 UTC 2018

Further, unless your in a silly country that was dumb enough to sign a
treaty extending EU’s legal reach into your sovereignty, such as the stupid
congress of the united States, then you can offer the EU a nice big Italian
sign language gesture regarding their GDPR and continue on with business as
usual.

@Owen, the above is not entirely true.

EU regulation/GDPR does affect African countries in general.  Or at least
those wishing to remain trade partners  with European Countries.

Most of Africa has little or no Data Protection/Privacy laws (with a few
exception being Ghana, Mauritius, SA, etc). Kenya for example doesn't have
one.

Should Kenya show the EU the middle finger?

Yes they could. But essentially, that middle finger will translate into
losing money.

A European Union Company would for example NOTdare engage
(Data-wise/Business wise) with a Kenyan partner/subsidiary that for example
sells flowers to European destinations/customers since Kenyan privacy /data
protection environment would be suspect.

Whereas the EU cannot directly hold the Kenyan company liable for breaches,
it will penalize the European company thoroughly. The net effect is that
most European companies would review their risk profiles with African
partners and basically cut linkages or open new ones -  only with
'compliant' countries in Africa.

Unlike US, Africa does need EU Euros ;-). And so we will have to improve
our Data protection regimes. Though it would have been good if we did it
out of our own volition.

Now more specifically for the Afrinic registry,

The board  just need to do an impact analysis of the GDPR on the Afrinic
Company and share with members.

Just off my head, the data within the registry (IP, Whois, etc) would need
to be protected. Essentially, if we have some data sitting in our
Mauritius/SA registries and it relates to European citizens/subject then we
need to review it in light of the GDPR requirements.  Essentially EU
citizens/residents have a whole list of rights to the data (consent,
delete, etc) and whoever is hosting it also has some obligations.

That's my 1bitcoin on the matter ;-)

walu.