[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC and the GDPR

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Apr 11 12:37:07 UTC 2018

Hi Abibu,

Considering that the board is facing a tabled and accepted motion of no confidence in Dakar – which has been accepted to the Agenda – and considering the GDPR comes into force on the 25th of May – is it not prudent of the board to do investigations and conclude them before the Dakar meeting – coming with fixed and concrete and agreed actions to the meeting - so that in the event that the motion does indeed pass – the outgoing board would have at the very least left AfriNIC in a strong position to deal with the potential issues created by the GDPR.

I can also say – I really hope that in sending this – the board will not come with an argument that the vote places AfriNIC in a precarious position because of the GDPR situation and the fact that meetings with RIPE were only happening at the meeting – since such an argument would be predicated on the board creating a negative situation for the company in order to potentially save themselves.

Andrew