[Community-Discuss] ISOC InterCommunity 2017 in Mauritius

Kevin G. Chege kevin.chege at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 07:58:47 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

InterCommunity (https://www.internetsociety.org/intercommunity/2017) is the
Internet Society’s annual community event. This year marks a special
edition to celebrate the Internet Society’s 25th anniversary, an occasion
to both look back at what we achieved and discuss the future of the
Internet. Many of our achievements in Africa and around the world would not
have been possible without our partners and community of members. The
choice of Mauritius and AFRINIC to host one of the InterCommunity nodes was
based on the fact that AFRINIC is a key organization for the Internet in
Africa and probably one of the greatest achievements of the African
Internet community in the last 25 years. AFRINIC has also been a partner of
the Internet Society and the Internet’s development in Africa over the last
decade, a fact that we truly appreciate and for which we want to express
our gratitude.

All Internet Society members have been invited to join the InterCommunity
event. They can join either individually online or at one of the nodes.

A slip in our process unfortunately led to the publication of a draft
version of the event's agenda on the Internet Society website. The agenda
is still being finalised and will be updated accordingly. Our apologies for
any confusion this may have caused.

Having said that, we’d also like to clarify that we do have one Chapter in
Mauritius that is chartered by the Internet Society. The Chapter went
through a rejuvenation process in 2011 to bring together a new leadership
team (this new team is led by Kris Seeburn, with a web presence here:
www.facebook.com/groups/isocmauritius/)

We are aware of the fact that even after its rejuvenation, the Chapter
struggled to become active locally. This is why we are currently working
with the local Mauritius Chapter group to reactivate the Chapter. We invite
everyone interested in joining that effort and help strengthen the local
Internet community to reach out to <chapter-support at isoc.org>. We’d be
happy to put you in touch with the local group.

If you are interested in attending InterCommunity on 19 September, either
online or in person at the Mauritius (or any other) node, then please
register here: https://www.internetsociety.org/intercommunity/2017/register

We look forward to seeing many of you online on that occasion.

If you have any questions about ISOC or ISOC Chapters please email me at "
chege at isoc.org" and I will be glad to assist or put you in touch with the
right people at ISOC.

Best regards,

Kevin G. Chege