[Community-Discuss] [Board-Discuss] Requests and questions

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Oct 3 12:54:46 UTC 2017

Hi Sunday,

While I will need to take some time to digest these responses - I do have some initial comments.

Firstly - and I apologise for this - I made an  error in my request so this may be partially my mistake- what I should have said was not the companies act - but the competitions act of 2007.

And - the same question still applies.

The board are the owners of the company - the board holds the fiduciary duty - and the board holds liability.  The board is now facing a direct question of if the company is in violation of the competitions act - and to investigate it.  The PDP and the policies - have no foundation in law beyond the bylaws - and I believe it is an EXTREMELY legally dubious assertion that the board can refuse to investigate the companies legal liability in the face of potential  violation of the law by a referral to policy and the companies bylaws.

It is really simple - a companies bylaws are subservient to the governing law of the country in which the company is domiciled.  It is not possible to create a document that places the company above the relevant legisilation.

So - let me try again - and I will put these questions more bluntly:

  1.  The competitions act of 2007, section 41.1 sub section b lists the criteria for what are defined as horizontal agreements - and since the definition of the a company in the context of the act makes it clear that the agreement can be between entities both domiciled in Mauritius and globally - I would ask how the division of regions by the ICP-2 and the practice of not allowing the free transfer of space to a competitive entity does not fall foul of this
  2.  Yes - in the case of section 41 - that refers to agreements that are collusive in nature - however - even if said agreements are deemed to be non-collusive - I cannot see how they do not fall foul of section 44.b
  3.  It is clear that AfriNIC falls under the definition of a monopoly as per section 46.1.a
  4.  I would like to understand why from AfriNIC's perspective considering the definition in 46.1.a they do not fall subject to clause 46.2.a and 46.2.b when they have no transfer policy that allows entities to choose another RIR

Effectively - what I am saying is this - the board has the power to implement policy - since the board owns the company - to the extent that the board even holds the power to change the bylaws to give themselves this power.  The board are the members - the community from everything I can see has zero recognition in law.  As such - if the company - and the board - is acting in a manner that is in direct violation of anti-trust legislation - the duty is on the board to rectify this situation or be held accountable.  The board cannot hide behind the community when they hold the fiduciary accountability for the functioning of the company.

As such - again - I ask you - will you commission an investigation into this - or is this board telling this community that in the face of questions about potentially operating outside of the bounds of the law - the board is wilfully choosing not to investigate and hence - violate their fiduciary duty as defined in the companies act.

I will comment more on the rest of the responses at a later point.

Andrew