[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Board meets the ICANN Board

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Jun 28 08:14:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Community,

Hello Sunday,

> This afternoon, I was privileged to lead the AfriNIC board members to meet
> with the ICANN Board, led by Steve Crocker at the ongoing ICANN meeting.
> The meeting centered on the efforts of the AfriNIC Board at learning best
> practices, with a view to improving our processes and accountability to the
> community.
>
> The Agenda of the meeting specifically was:
> 1. Limits of Board Transparency and Board Confidentiality
> 2. Management of open Board Meetings.

The open board meetings are one way of demonstrating transparency but this
is normally not a one day AGMM meeting. How we improve this going forward
is of great significant if we are to succeed in being accountable and
transparent.

We need to see more mechanisms in place for instance

             - Board and organisation KPI's (as so many activities happen
but they are not measured to their effectiveness)
             - Seeking recommendations from community on certain issues
where necessary
             - Sound strategic plans for the organisation since today, the
4 page document still doesn't cut it.
             - Quarterly reports on the progress of the organisation before
even the annual reports

> 2. The multi-stakeholder model works

That is what must prevail as its a model that saw ICANN itself become
global multistakeholder governance organisation today.

> 3. Trust must be built. It does not just come

More transparency especially for a Not-for-profit public entity is what can
usher in more trust from bottom to the top.

> 5. Accountability is key

And leadership is all about accountability. This is what this community
seeks.

> The Board is committed to ensuring that the organization is responsive and
> accountable, and we do request the cooperation of the community as we seek
> ways to improve the Board/membership/Community interactions. We seek your
> continued support in this regard.

It's also important for the board and the entire leadership to come to the
realisation that its the membership and the community that puts you there
to lead and manage the organisation and at any time, you can be called out
to be accountable and transparent no matter how bad or good things might
seem. If we have problems, we should be transparent about them so that we
seek solutions together to fix them. If we succeed, we should be
transparent about our success as well.

Most importantly,  we seek that this words are followed up with real action
too.

> Best Regards,
>
> Sunday Folayan
> Chair, AFRINIC Board