[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Annual Financial Statements 2016

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sat Jun 17 14:07:23 UTC 2017

On 17 Jun 2017 3:50 p.m., "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> On 15 Jun 2017, at 14:36, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>> Yes, resources from members who go out of business are recovered.  The
recovered resources are quarantined for two years, during which time they
are marked as RESERVED in the WHOIS database.  After the ene of he
quarantine period, the recovered resources are released to the pool for
possible re-use.

>> We do not publicise the names of the members concerned.  The reserved
space may be found in raw data published at <ftp://ftp.afrinic.net/pub/
stats/afrinic>.

> As far as I am concerned the list of members who defaulted and/or under
closure used to be published for example the below AFRINIC link.

> http://web02.jnb.afrinic.net/community/policy-development/
pdwg/1207-closure-list

> Why are we being less transparent about this now? In fact since 2014, how
many members were closed up until 2017 as that record doesnt exist today?

In my opinion, publishing the names of closed members is a bad idea because
the ex-members deserve some privacy.  I will seek legal advice on whether
or not to publish such lists in future.

> I also checked the ftp://ftp.afrinic.net/stats/afrinic/delegated-afrinic-
extended-latest as you recommended.

> Are all those 2411 INR marked as “reserved”, resources from recovery?
>
> If not how can one tell the difference between which are the recovered
space and everything else?

Hi Alan

Let me ask this differently perhaps I will get a clear answer.

Ref: Defaulted members:  how much recovered space from 2015, 2016 and 2017
and where are these recovered  ressoutces?

You are concerned about closed member privacy yet this is public
information,  how many  members have since closed?

Noah