[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Annual Financial Statements 2016

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Jun 15 10:36:22 UTC 2017

On 14 Jun 2017 3:29 p.m., "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2017, at 22:19, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
> Hi Chair,
>
> If the 39,199 was from members who defaulted and went out of business it
means the resources are no longer in use by those specific members.

> Did we recover those resources back into Afrinic inventory for
re-allocation/assignment?

> Can we please get a report on the space that was recovered as I couldnt
find that anywhere on the AFRINIC website.

Although I was not asked this question, I perceive that some people may
expect me to answer it.

Hi Alan,

Yes certainly....

Yes, resources from members who go out of business are recovered.  The
recovered resources are quarantined for two years, during which time they
are marked as RESERVED in the WHOIS database.  After the ene of he
quarantine period, the recovered resources are released to the pool for
possible re-use.

We do not publicise the names of the members concerned.  The reserved space
may be found in raw data published at <ftp://ftp.afrinic.net/pub/
stats/afrinic>.

As far as I am concerned the list of members who defaulted and/or under
closure used to be published for example the below AFRINIC link.

http://web02.jnb.afrinic.net/community/policy-development/pdwg/1207-closure-list

Why are we being less transparent about this now? In fact since 2014, how
many members were closed up until 2017 as that record doesnt exist today?

I also checked the
ftp://ftp.afrinic.net/stats/afrinic/delegated-afrinic-extended-latest as
you recommended.

Are all those 2411 INR marked as “reserved”, resources from recovery?

If not how can one tell the difference between which are the recovered
space and everything else?

Noah