[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Apr 20 17:47:29 UTC 2017

Yes its something asked for by a responsible AFRINIC otherwise any entity
from anywhere [1] could request for IP resources just like that.

Lets assume AFRINIC didn't ask for the business or operating license and
resources were allocated to some entity, do you really think that entity
would use those IP resources without being regulated somehow.

Education institute are regulated by the local education ministry and for
AFRINIC to give them resources they have to prove they are accredited and
the same goes for Hosting/ISP/Telecoms businesses which require operating
licenses either from the local regulatory authority or local business
licensee. This is where the arm of the government comes into play with its
powers and the issues we seems to take for granted then get complicated.

Noah

[1] Outside Africa with no operations in Africa.

*./noah*