[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Apr 20 12:28:34 UTC 2017

Hi Badru

People are talking about targeting executive branches of governments not
knowing that most of the shutdown that have happened in the past including
the one in Cameroon has a lot to do with the local countries politics,
policies and regulation. Some countries governments don't shutdown the
internet but they have some crazy regulations that censor the cyber space
that you would not even want to live there.

For any organization to get number resources, the applicants are vetted by
AFRINIC against their countries regulations (license of operation) which
are a prerequisite for getting the IP resources from AFRINIC. This kind of
relationship has existed between AFRINIC and all regulatory bodies in all
countries that AFRINIC serve. What this basically mean is that if the
country decided to deny an entity a license to operate, that entity cant
access number resources from AFRINIC which means its only the local
regulations that determine internet development, expansion and freedom and
not AFRINIC.

Dont bite the hand that feeds you. I rest my case...

Noah