[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

Ish Sookun ish at lsl.digital
Tue Apr 18 06:02:49 UTC 2017

Hi SM,

On 04/17/2017 10:04 AM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:

> I gather that you noticed the issue of which of the two local ISOCs is
> the local chapter.  One of them has links to a political party.

Yes.

> Promoting the development of the internet also entails discussing about
> those two issues.  In doing that, Afrinic may have to work against the
> interests of one of its members to do what is in the interests of users.

There seems to be a similar situation when the subject of ISP monopoly
is raised with government bodies.

> The price of internet access is a significant concern in the region as
> the high cost acts as a barrier to access.  I pointed out to the
> government that it makes local small businesses uncompetitive in
> comparison with small businesses from another country; I'll mention that
> it was an issue for one of my local customers.

Yes.

> Did the newspaper consider that it could happen and take measures
> against that?

I disclose that I work for a press group in Mauritius. I am not speaking
on behalf of the newspaper. My opinion is that every newspaper in
Mauritius should seriously consider the possibility of the government
blocking them.

> Please see http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/govmu-org-domain-name-issues2.html

There does not seem to be any willingness from the government's side to
get back gov.mu, unless I am unaware of government efforts.

> [..] I put in a significant amount of time and effort to
> bring that down to one-third of the initial cost.  The forum failed
> because the government assumed that everyone on the "committee" would
> rubber-stamp whatever it said.

Yes.

> According to the Act, the minister appoints its members.  There isn't
> any information about the members of that committee on the regulator's
> web site.   Are you worried because the committee will do the bidding of
> the government?

Not only that. I worry that actions of the committee could be
politically motivated. I draw my conclusions from what happened with the
board of the ICT Authority.

Ish Sookun

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.