[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Sat Apr 15 09:14:45 UTC 2017

> On 14 Apr 2017, at 22:39, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> But it raises a question – and its one I’ve been debating at length online with multiple people.
>
> AfriNIC – completely neutral technical body
> AfriNIC – political organisation with a technical function
> AfriNIC – A hybrid of both of the above?
>
> Because that impacts how we view things – and it impacts the role that the organisation should be playing.

AFRINIC’s goals are stated in section 3.4 of the Bylaws <https://afrinic.net/en/about/bylaws/2001-afrinic-bylaws-2016?start=2>

My summary is that AFRINIC has a dual mandate, to allocate and register Internet number resources, and to promote the development of the Internet, focusing on Africa but not ignoring the rest of the world.

Alan Barrett