[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - quorum

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Sep 28 17:38:57 UTC 2016

+1 Mark,

I would have thought this was pretty plain – it’s a global practice in business and I’d be surprised if people who have stood on boards and other such things hadn’t seen this fairly often, its enshrined in every company act I’ve ever read.

It’s the same way with shareholder meetings – a shareholder may give a proxy to someone.

A member may issue a proxy and that person then 100% represents the person who gave it to them.

Andrew

On 28/09/2016, 20:08, "Mark Elkins" <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:

    On 28/09/2016 15:20, Badru Ntege wrote:
    > Ultimately percentage of members is the logical and sustainble way to
    > achieve a representative outcome.  However this opens another
    > question when it comes to “representative” and actual votes.
    >
    > We need to explore a way that also addresses actively engaged member
    > views.  The current system is open to some kind of abuse where
    > through the use of proxies,  votes are cast on behalf of members who
    > might not even have a clue about what the vote is all about.

    If I give my Proxy to someone - then I am implicitly trusting that
    person - including their judgement/discretion on things I might not be
    100% sure about. If I give them instructions and they fail to follow
    them, my issue is with them, no one else.

    Often, proxies will actually state how the "owner" wishes to vote on
    certain (pre-defined) topics - i.e. - accept the current auditors for
    another year.

    If you don't trust a person to use your proxy wisely - don't give it to
    them. I really don't see the problem.