[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - bylaws changes

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Mon Sep 19 10:08:21 UTC 2016

> On 19 Sep 2016, at 13:08, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Alan,
>
> One point I observed has not been captured in the summary (which i also suggested), was to limit the Independent Director seat to "at most" one per region at any given time. This will address a possible situation where we end up having 4 directors from a region.

I don’t think that’s an accountability issue.  Even in the unlikely event that there are four from the same sub-region (regional director, two non-regional directors, and CEO), and that the four conspire together to advance some sort of sub-regional interest that’s against AFRINIC’s interest, the four would still not form a majority of the Board.

Instead of legislating geographical diversity in the Bylaws, I would prefer to rely on the membership to consider all kinds of diversity when voting.

Remember that Bylaws changes need a 75% majority.  Would adding geographical restrictions to the non-geographical seats have enough support to pass?

Alan Barrett