[Community-Discuss] Let's chat about unannounced v6 space!

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Oct 16 08:37:04 UTC 2016

So,

I was interested to see - how much v6 was allocated by AfriNIC that was not announced into the tables and who was it allocated to, and decided to write something to take a look.

Now - some notes about the stuff on the page below - firstly this is generated by processing the routing tables from only one global view - there is a possibility that something is announced that for some reason is not in the table I'm checking on generation - but I'd say its pretty unlikely.

Secondly, there are IXP prefix's on this page because there is no way to easily identify an Internet Exchange Point and remove them.  If there are IXP's on that list that would like me to put a manual whitelist to remove their prefix's from that page in entirety - let me know what the IXP is and what the prefix is and I can do that.

Thirdly - While I've done what I can to retrieve the allocation dates from the delegated file, for some reason certain things are in the whois database but not in the delegated file - this may be because of sub-allocations though I'm not 100% certain, once I figure this out I might be able to fix this as well - call it a bug right now.

Forth - ALL THIS INFORMATION WAS DERIVED FROM PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE DATA AND THE GLOBAL TABLE

With all that said - I present to you the list of people who have IPv6 but aren't even announcing it:

http://server.alstonnetworks.net/unannounced.html

NOTE: I've still got to put cron entries etc in - will hopefully get that done later today, at which point the page will update at midnight GMT+3 every day.  Also please note that I give no guarantees as to the availability of this page or if I will maintain it in the long term - it's probably best moved to another more stable location host, but because of how it works that's not the easiest thing to do.

I'm working on another one for IPv4 at the moment - though that is more complicated and requires some pretty huge processing power to work it all out, especially if I want to figure out which allocations are only partially announced and work out percentage of block announcement.  This will hopefully come out in the next week time dependent.

Thanks

Andrew