[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Accountability assessment - bylaws changes

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Oct 4 14:15:13 UTC 2016

Firstly everybody, the AFRINIC Governance Committee Nomination process
is due to close in one week.

To nominate yourself or a candidate of your choice, please complete
the nomination form at:

https://registration.afrinic.net/events/node/25/

Nomination deadline is 11 October 2016 at 2000UTC

On 04/10/2016 12:50, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2016, at 14:32, Arnaud AMELINA <amelnaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It appears to me that such a committee requires certain expertise
>> and skills just like board. For the board, the bylaws has some
>> criteria and allow nomcom to add others.
>
> Yes, NomCom may add criteria beyond what’s in the Governance
> Committee charter.  They appear to have decided not to do so.  I
> don’t know whether they had particular reasons, but somebody from
> NomCom is free to comment.

For now, NomCom is not imposing extra criteria to limit whom we accept
for Nomination. We would obviously like people with useful skills, etc.
Technically, asking for a Nominee to be nominated by two (different)
Members is an additional criteria - which however is becoming the norm.

>> And if there is no requirement, on what basis will nomcom  evaluate
>> the candidates? How will community comment on candidates during the
>> public comment? Or if there is no evaluation and  members decide by
>> mere vote,  what is the role  of nomcom?

NomCom collects the Nominees so the Membership can choose. We hope to
have more nominees than places but no more than a factor of between 2
and 3, ie we would like to present between 6 and 9 people for the
upcoming elections.

We collect nominees by posting on the usual lists and by explicitly
contacting people.

NomCom explicitly noted that the GC nominees should be both language and
gender diverse as well as geographically diverse. In order to achieve
this, NomCom has been reaching out to find at least one suitable female
candidate from each of the six AFRINIC regions.

We are otherwise guided by:

    5.2.1. The AFRINIC Membership shall elect three (3) members of the
    Governance Committee, using a procedure similar to that used for
    election of Directors to the AFRINIC Board.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496