[Community-Discuss] Issue of AfriNIC illegality

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 14 14:23:05 UTC 2016

That wasn't an issue of illegality of AfriNIC. The issue was whether or not the limit on the number of proxies carried by a single member would survive a legal challenge.

The advice from counsel is that it most likely would not. Further, it seems that the companies act requires proxies. Therefore even though it seems illogical to maintain proxies in the face of electronic voting, until such time as the law catches up with technology, proxies must be accepted.

One person suggested that if we don't like this, AfriNIC could go jurisdiction shopping. That's true, but in my experience, every jurisdiction has its trade offs and I believe the proxy requirement in MU law is not enough of a reason to undertake such an exercise.

Indeed, I feel that there should be no limits on the number of members who can appoint a particular person to be their proxy. I believe the argument about "vote buying" is specious because in reality, proxy limitation does nothing to reduce it. If you are buying votes, it isn't any harder to get them delivered by multiple proxies than by one.

Further, since board members are not significantly compensated for their role, I fail to see the economic value in attempting to buy an AfriNIC election.

Owen