[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Christian Bope christian.bope at unikin.ac.cd
Sat Nov 12 10:52:28 UTC 2016

On 12 Nov 2016 6:24 p.m., "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> > On 12 Nov 2016, at 00:02, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> >> I am having difficulty drafting appropriate text.  One of the
difficulties is that the rough consensus requirement is in the PDP, not in
the Bylaws.

> >> My current feeling is that the Bylaws should be silent about how the
community endorses or rejects a policy, but should say what heppens is a
policy is rejected (not endorsed).  Here’s suggested text:

> >> 11.5 Endorsement of policy adopted by the Board:
> >> (a) Any policy adopted by the Board under the provisions of Article
11.4 shall be submitted to the community for endorsement or rejection at
the next public policy meeting.
> >> (b) In the event that such a policy submitted by the Board is not
endorsed, the said policy shall not be enforced or implemented following
its non-endorsement; however, any actions taken in terms of the policy
prior to such non-endorsement shall remain valid.

> > How about this:
> >
> > 11.5  Ratification of policy adopted by the Board:
> > (a) Any policy adopted by the Board under the provisions of Article
11.4 shall be submitted to the community for ratification at the next
public policy meeting.
> > (c) Unless the PDWG chairs determine that there is consensus by the
community to reject said policy, the policy shall remain in force or be put
in force as directed by the Board.

> > Would that work?
>
> Sorry, no, that doesn’t work, because the Bylaws have no concept of a
PDWG chair or a rough consensus process.  The Bylaws say that there must be
a Policy Development Process, but give no details about how it works.  The
concept of a PDWG chair or co-chair, and the requirement for (rough)
consensus is a construct of the PDP, and can be changed by adopting a new
version of the PDP.  It would not be appropriate for the Bylaws to rely on
something that can be changed outside the Bylaws.

> Alan Barrett

[Speaking on my own capacity.]

As stated in my previous post related to item 13.
There are 2 key element we should all keep in mind and maintain.
1. PDP guidelines shall be updated to describe how Board can adopt a policy.
2. Board adopted policy must be ratified by the community. If not it is
rejected.

Regards