[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Sat Nov 12 08:18:47 UTC 2016

> On 12 Nov 2016, at 11:17, abel ELITCHA <kmw.elitcha at gmail.com> wrote:
> On item{6},
> You propose two (2) consecutive terms and one term break. Nevertheless, the community has proposed a one term  break after one term on office before being eligible for re-election.

I am aware that one or two people have suggested a limit of one term (3 years).  Others have suggested no limit at all.  In my opinion, a limit of 3 years is much too short, and I will not propose a bylaws change to introduce such a short limit.

> Also, if any change adopted to the terms in the bylaws, when will it take effect? Will the current directors be affected?

Yes, bylaws changes take effect immediately.

> One more point, did the consecutive terms include terms as alternate Director or Full Director as described in the current Bylaws?

We no longer have alternate directors, but I think the question is: What happens to somebody who previously served a term as an alternate Director under the previous bylaws, and is now serving a term as a Director under the current bylaws, without a break in between the two terms?  Does that count as two consecutive terms for the purposes of any term limit?  I don’t know the answer.

Alan Barrett