[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:48:58 UTC 2016

Le 9 nov. 2016 13:33, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> a écrit :

> > On 9 Nov 2016, at 18:36, ALAIN AINA <aalain at trstech.net> wrote:
> >
> > What i am sensing here is Board being involved in the “rough consensus”
process of the PDPWG  which is different from board adopting its own
policies which shall be submitted to the community for endorsement.

> > Ok.  In case of deadlock as described above and if the board made the
decision over  policy proposals being discussed, why bring the  adopted
policy back to the same community for endorsement ?

> There are two ways to make policy:
>
> The normal way: Policy is made by the community and ratified by the
Board. See Bylaws 11.2 and 11.3, and the PDP.

> The unusual way: Policy is made by the Board and endorsed by the
community.  See Bylaws 11.4 and 11.5.

> The changes under discussion do not affect the normal process (PDP, and
Bylaws 11.2 and 11.3).  The changes under discussion are intended to
prevent the Board from abusing the unusual process (Bylaws 11.4 and 11.5).

> My example (not quoted) was  intended to illustrate why it is sometimes a
good idea to let the Baord adopt policies that do not reach rough consensus.

It seems to me that the problem that Alain is raising, is board involvement
in adoption of Policy proposals which do  not reach rough consensus for
adoption at the PDPWG level .

Regards

Arnaud