[Community-Discuss] Bylaws changes

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Sat Nov 5 10:36:43 UTC 2016

> On 5 Nov 2016, at 00:46, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> I believe Point 5 may result in conflict with Article 13.4 that states that directors represent specific regions.  For consistency 13.4 would also need modification.

Perhaps we should change 13.4 to say that the Directors in seats 1 to 6 should “reside in”, not “represent”, the six sub-regions.

Historically, we have had Directors who changed their place of residence after being elected, such that they no longer resided in the relevant sub-region, but they did not resign.

> I believe that section 16 is also in conflict with the companies act.  The companies act specifically states that a director may only be removed in a meeting dedicated to that purpose with that being the only item on the agenda.  So while I have no problem with the community being able to recall a director, it must be through a dedicated meeting and not through the addition of an agenda item at a regular meeting.

I’ll check on that, and make a suitable chaneg if necessary.

Alan Barrett