[Community-Discuss] post ipv4 depletion frauds, brokers activities

Jean-Robert Hountomey jrhountomey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:43:22 UTC 2016

Thanks all, for providing various perspectives. I believe that is what the community is about:being able to educate one
seeking information.

We indeed discuss a lot of things; may be should we add a summary of key issues, trends, best current practices etc on
AfriNIC’s blog to educate more people.

Moving further with the topic, I also recall IP addresses theft (to generate money) reported earlier this year (1);
over four million stolen IPv4 blocks allocated to internet providers in the APNIC Community have been hijacked by
spammers and routed through an ISP in the US.

In the incident Response community the success rate of reaching AfriNIC' whois database contacts is still low when
it comes to specific countries (less than 40%).

I have specific questions to AfriNIC Organization about what is done done in the administrative part or how we are being prepared:

Noble outlined trends in the ARIN Region:

- unauthorized changes made to database records to gain control of IP resources
- what I would call IP Address recycling thought an ecosystem of brokers
- Fraudsters setting up shell companies to hoard IPv4 space just before depletion

Questions

1. Do we see similar trends in the Region ?
2. Do you know case of companies registering in Africa for IPv4 addresses and for malicious intent?
3. If yes how are we dealing with that ?
4. Are we getting prepared to face similar issues?
5. How are we educating users ?
6. What is the current rate of response to POC Validation requests ?

I have also read that in other regions there are reclaimed addresses obtained via the Recovery of unused address space policy
or when Members' accounts are closed

7. Do we have something similar in AfriNIC’s region?

Thanks.

Jean-Robert

(1). http://www.itnews.com.au/news/verizon-accused-of-ignoring-spammers-ip-address-theft-413607