[Community-Discuss] post ipv4 depletion frauds, brokers activities

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Sat Jun 25 02:22:06 UTC 2016

On 24 Jun 2016, at 21:06, Honest Ornella GANKPA wrote:

> It is quite scary actually that even the RIR is promoting such bad
> practices on the pretense of simplicity

i disagree.
and i’m not quite sure you see the double standard here.

you (meaning: a general user) are happy to use your user name and
password, and give your credit card details (ie. real money) to the
afrinic website, based simply on your acceptance of a perceived 3rd
party valid certificate implying identification  (it’s true;  the
payment bits at my.afrinic.net don’t require more than a simple
authenticated user login).
that same set of authentication information, is needed to *manage* your
resources - that critical thing that your network needs -  on a daily
basis.
but yet, somehow you think that this same set of
validation/authentication criteria isn’t good enough for specific bits
of the website?
i like to see evidence (proof).  it could be easily argued that, since
the e-voting process was Made Simpler (tm) more people used it this
year;  i don’t recall the actual numbers, but i’m told that there
were *more* e-voters users this year, than last, eh?

do i wish afrinic would improve security around my.afrinic?  heck yes;
i logged ticket #249014 with afrinic in october 2014 asking for 2FA,
which, i’m told is slated for sometime in 2016.  (my ticket is still
open!)   i think that 2FA would be a better security deterrent than a
bpki cert.  my most recent cert was copied from a laptop, put onto a
memory stick and handed to me - i’m sure you can spot the obvious
flaws with that .. :-)

> And why isn't the community consulted when such decisions are taken?

there was a bylaw change that was done to allow electronic voting (being
a new means of voting).  that required membership (not community - mild
difference!) consultation.

the *mechanics* of the system, are *operational* changes.  for that, we
have smart people at afrinic that know how to run systems.  we should
let them do, what they are paid to do.  do they really need to get
community^Wmember consensus to let folks know that they are changing
their name-server software (ie. another operational change?)   :-)

—n.