[Community-Discuss] Fwd: [members-discuss] Matters Arising - Further clarification

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Wed Jul 13 05:06:14 UTC 2016

Chair

Thanks for your input in the ongoing dialogue. Comments inline

> On 12 Jul 2016, at 10:26 pm, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

The community has shared some suggestions in making this process more productive and there is no intention of micromanagement.

Please accept community feedback for what it is. We are suggesting that current good practice in setting strategic plans is to make sure that we have some measurable targets.   I'm sure some members have also commented on this just in case community feedback might not be carrying the relevant weight.

We are only asking that you consider comments made.

> 2. Board-Community Relations
> The Board welcomes proposals and solutions on issues at all times. The
> board believes that all comments should be made in a manner that is
> respectful and gives recognition to the fact that there may be opposing
> views.  In particular, comments that imply wrongdoing but do not give
> details of the alleged infraction are not encouraged or welcomed.

There's a thin line between free speech and the opposite. Let's allow members and community to share views and we ask board and chair to express some humility to accept that just as members can be wrong at times board can also be wrong.

We need to change the paradigm of "community in attack and board in defence."  This can only happen if we respectfully listen to each other.

As our chair we expect emails not to be written in defence mode if in doubt ask for clarity.

> 3. Fees.
> The recent change in the allocation fee charges was merely a
> clarification and it only affects members with new allocation requests;
> it has no effect on existing members who do not request additional
> number resources. As already indicated, the setting of fees is a Board
> responsibility.  Any member is welcome to comment on the fee structure
> or to make their own proposal at any time, and such comments or
> proposals will be duly considered at the time of the next fee review.

Noted

> 4. Membership of CoE
> The Bylaws section 16 gives the Board the power to consider former
> Chairpersons of AFRINIC for appointment to the Council of Elders. The
> Board has not formally discussed appointing the former Chairman in
> question to the CoE, but we will add a discussion of this issue to the
> agenda of the next Board meeting.

Is this a reaction to recent threads.

This used to be agenda item for the first meeting of new board.  It has taken a year to make it to the agenda, we understand board has been busy.

Looking forward to the outcomes of your deliberations.

Regards