[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Council of Elders

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 12 21:17:30 UTC 2016

Having looked at this from several angles, I think I see the source of confusion…

Section 16 in its entirety reads:

16 THE COUNCIL OF ELDERS
There shall be a Council of Elders appointed by the Board comprising a maximum of six (6) former chairpersons of AFRINIC who have left the Board. Their advisory role is commensurate with their experience leading the organisation as former Chairs.
16.1 Membership to the Council shall be opened to such former chairpersons who served at least one full term in that capacity.
16.2 First in first out principle will be used to ensure that the number of members of the council does not exceed six (6).
16.3 On the completion of their tenure of office, members of this Council shall retire and not be eligible for re-appointment.
16.4 This Council shall have an advisory role and shall provide help and assistance to the Chair or the entire Board.

The shall in the first paragraph does not make appointment automatic, but serves to limit the membership on the CoE. I agree this sentence could have been written better, but in essence, it states that to be eligible for appointment by the board, you must be a former chair that served at least one full term in that capacity. It’s not clear whether this means a 1-year term of chairman or a 3-year term on the board where you spent that entire term as chair. However, this particular minutiae may not be relevant to the question at hand.

Nonetheless, taken out of context, I can understand how some would read 16.1 to imply automatic appointment.

However, in the context of the opening paragraph to which 16.1 is subordinate, it is quite clear that it is a limit on eligibility and not a call for automatic appointment.

The board cannot appoint me to the CoE at this time, as I have never been chairman of the AfriNIC board. They may, at their discretion, choose to appoint (or not) Badru.

As to the criteria they use, I would say that each member of the board probably uses their own sound judgment and that there is no set criteria on which this is based other than the very limited set of constraints set out in section 16 of the bylaws.

Personally, I have enough trust and faith in the AfriNIC board to believe that they are quite capable of deciding whether or not to appoint any given former chair to the CoE. Sunday has stated that the matter will be decided by the board at their next meeting.

At this point, I’d say there’s nothing more to see here until the board makes their decision. I would also like to encourage people to accept the decision of the board, whatever it is, whether or not they agree with it. If you don’t like the way the board decides the issue, you can always vote for different board members in the next election.

Owen