[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC - Matters Arising

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Mon Jul 11 07:59:32 UTC 2016

> On 8 Jul 2016, at 18:21, Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:
>
> Chair
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> What has seemed to bring this discussion up in my opinion is the use of Mauritian law in some instances in the past by individuals to either circumvent or challenge the bylaws.
>
> There is a need to open dialogue on how the two are aligned to prevent us constantly coming to this issue.

I am not the Chair, but please could you give details of the instances in the past that you are referring to.  We need to understand the problem, if any, before considering how to deal with it.

> What we also need to separate that changing the jurisdiction if that ends up to be the only way should never be linked to moving the HQ.  I think and feel Mauritius has been a good home for AfriNIC and should continue to be the home.
>
> What we need to then do is look at what would be the ideal registration process for a community “bottom up” entity, and then engage our hosts to see if they are ready to give us that legal dispensation.
>
> Failing that we can then ask out of our 53 potential regional states which one is prepared to give us that dispensation so we can register in that state.  AfriNIC can then be registered in that country as a legal entity but still maintain its HQ in Mauritius.
>
> My suggestion as had been suggested a few years back a body of community members plus some board members be set up in an adhoc committee to explore this and make recommendations to the community at the next AGMM.
>
> We need to stop pushing this under the carpet and adress it once and for all.

I still don’t know what problem you want to address, or what you think has been pushed under the carpet, but I can point out that the new Governance Committee will have within its terms of reference the power to make recommendations about "The legal framework of AFRINIC, including the place and manner of company registration;”

Alan Barrett