[Community-Discuss] [AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN 2016 Nominating Committee Announces Selections - unfortunate Africa distribution

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Aug 31 01:48:25 UTC 2016

On 30 Aug 2016 at 15:50, Yaovi Atohoun wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please read more about the NomCom announcement
> at https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2016-08-29-en

I see it as unfortunate that both ICANN board members from the Africa region in this
ICANN NomCom selection come from North Africa.

I see it as loss of geographic diversity as well as loss of diversity in community
representation in this selection and in the resulting ICANN Board representation.

I do not blame this on North Africa,  the rest of Africa simply needs to push for and
move forward into occupying such positions and NomCom needs to look out for such
disparities.

It is my hope that this unfortunate ICANN Board distribution is not because there were
no good applicants from the rest of Africa, did the ICANN NomCom fail to attract good
enough candidates from the rest of Africa?

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD