[Community-Discuss] Evaluating Performance of the Board

Chevalier du Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 07:42:09 UTC 2015

>> i am interested in the simple weekly rituals board engages in to makes
>> sure that priority will be attained and/or if it should be adapted.
>>
>> very rough example:
>>
>> priority: i want to publish a book by 2017
>>
>> a good indicator (predictor?) can be: how many words do i force myself
>> to write every day/week
>>
>> logic being if someone is consistent in writing a 500 word every day,
>> they are more likely to achieve the goal of writing enough for a book
>
> your analogy confuses the board with the executives and staff.  a board
> sets, monitors, and approves policy, not makes widgets.

:-) ... analogies can do that when out of the writers head. the lesson
i want to bring out from the analogy is that:

for any entity that has a goal, there is something (action, outputs
etc) that happen in small enough time increments that can predict
likelihood of success at meeting the set goal. (i think this are also
called leading indicators)

i think your clarification just give me the word i'm looking for: monitor

That policy that board sets and approves, the effect can only be know
after 1 or 2 years. Now we can't wait for 2 years only to find the
policy was bad, therefore the need for monitoring at intervals is what
tell the board and us that the policy is having desired effect or not.

Thank to your input, I just realise that those things that board
monitors is what I am looking for. Making these public on a website so
the community can see will address the concern and improve confidence
in the board.

--
Borg le Chevalier