[Community-Discuss] The Governance Committee: Way forward

Jean Robert Hountomey jrhountomey at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 16:10:38 UTC 2015

Thank you Janvier. While I share your views I would like to add few comments.

5. Membership.

AfriNIC has a Council of Elders (1). The bylaws states: " Their advisory role is commensurate with their experience
leading the organization as former Chairs." I wonder why we cannot give that role to members of the CE. Don't we trust them?

Second, this doesn't require additional elections, doesn't require a bylaws change and doesn't require significant expense.

Third, I do think that a Governance Committee should be vested with the powers to oppose a decision made by the Board. If they can't then why
create another organization to give advice to the Board ? Isn't the advice provided by the CE at this time efficient?

(1). http://www.afrinic.net/en/about-us/our-structure/council-of-elders

Thanks.

Jean Robert