Status of Community Discuss mailing list

Kishna Dhondee kishna.dhondee at afrinic.net
Mon Feb 20 06:27:14 UTC 2023

Dear Ish,

In regard to your email below, kindly be informed as follows:

1. By email dated 24 June 2022, AFRINIC's ex-CEO informed the Community
with respect to a 'Temporary emergency moderation'. The said email is
herewith attached for ease of reference.

2. By email dated 27 June 2022, AFRINIC's Communication informed the
Community, /inter-alia/, what triggered the moderation of the Community
list as well as the modality of the said moderation. That email is also
herewith attached for ease of reference.

3. We are aware that, since then, several requests have been made by
Community members for the lifting of the aforesaid moderation. However,
as you may also be aware as a matter of good governance, no staff has
the authority to override a decision previously taken by an executive -
be it a CEO or ex-CEO. Consequently, in the absence of both a quorate
board and a CEO, it is regrettable that the /status-quo /is being
maintained.

4. In regard to the second part of your question, the established
protocol was that moderation would be of two-folds i.e; a legal vetting
followed by another vetting by a representative of the Governance
Committee (GovCom).

5. Unfortunately, the GovCom has also been dissolved on 31 December 2022
and is yet to be reconstituted, which consequently impacts the whole of
the aforesaid moderation process.

6. Prior to the dissolution of the GovCom on 31 December 2022, the
members thereof did consider the requests emanated from the Community
/viz /the lifting of the aforesaid moderation. However, you will
appreciate that I cannot disclose the deliberations and/or
recommendations of the GovCom's proceedings. Accordingly, point #3 above
is repeated.

7. In view of the above and pending AFRINIC having a quorate board, all
emails sent to the Community list are accessible and being archived at:
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss-unmoderated/

We hope to see AFRINIC back in full swing soon.

Regards,

Kishna

--
Kishna DHONDEE

Legal Officer, AFRINIC
11th Floor, Standard Chartered Tower
19 Cybercity, Ebene,
Mauritius.

This email and any attachment (s) transmitted with it are confidential. They
may also be privileged or otherwise protected by law. They are intended
you have received this email by error, please notify the sender immediately
by e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. You are also notified that
disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action in relation to its contents
is strictly prohibited and unlawful. By reading the message and opening
any attachment, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective
and remedial action about viruses and other defects.