[AFRINIC-Announce] Reminder: Registration is Still Open for the third AFRINIC IPv6 & RPKI e-Deployathon 2021

AFRINIC Communication comms at afrinic.net
Fri Jul 16 14:19:06 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

AFRINIC is the only RIR with IPv4 addresses in its free pool --- 1,780,480 million, to be specific.

This, as you can tell, is grossly inadequate to meet Africa’s current IP address needs, making IPv6 the only sustainable way to continue to grow the potential of the Internet in Africa. In 2018, we designed and organised the world’s first Deployathon as a mechanism to bridge the gap between learning about IPv6 and actually implementing it.

In 2020, we redesigned the event and delivered it entirely online. Consequently, 30 organisations from 14 countries were able to accomplish 24 deployment KPIs:

• 7 validated route6 object
• 4 address plans in IPAMS
• 4 advertised IPv6 prefixes
• 2 validated RPKI ROA objects
• 2 IPv6 traffic from test VLAN
• 1 IPv6-enabled DNS
• 1 DNSSEC IPv6 signed IPv6 reverse zone
• 1 IPv6-enabled website
• 1 IPv6-enabled email
• 1 network with IPv6 user traffic

If selected, you will get the same step-by-step guidance, tools, and techniques we have perfected in 9 (e-)Deployathons, and +100 helpdesk calls to help realise your IPv6 deployment project.

This is clearly a measurable step forward in accordance with your network change management processes.