[AFRINIC-Announce] Register for the session on Overcoming Hurdles to IPv6 Deployment in Southern Africa at SAFNOG-3, during iWeek 2017, in Durban, South Africa
comms-announce at afrinic.net
Fri Sep 1 12:58:20 UTC 2017
We are pleased to invite you to register for the session on Overcoming Hurdles to IPv6 Deployment in Southern Africa.
Date: 6 September 2017
Location: Yellow room
• Network Engineers
• AFRINIC and Research ICT Africa
• Your organisation is actively running IPv6 or has immediate deployment plans.
This year AFRINIC conducted a survey on the key challenges to IPv6 deployment in Africa. This session seeks to provide insights into the findings of the survey and:
• Confirm whether the survey results match the reality of Southern African network engineers who are deploying or planning to deploy IPv6
• Get deeper insight into the challenges specific to IPv6 deployment in Southern Africa
• Brainstorm and prototype possible solutions that both operators and AFRINIC can implement to drive IPv6 adoption
• Explore feasibility of formation of a South African IPv6 Task Force
The session begins with an overview of the state of IPv6 adoption and usage in Africa by different Internet stakeholders, primarily, service providers, content providers, and end-users. The main results of a preliminary survey on the main challenges faced by various stakeholders in different types of networks will be presented. We will also build on the preliminary survey results to learn about operators’ obstacles and plans regarding implementation of IPv6, to gain further insight into why IPv6 adoption is slow in the region. Ultimately, this exercise will provide basis for precise points of intervention by AFRINIC.
This session also attempts to understand challenges that network operators, engineers and managers face in deploying IPv6 in their respective organisations.
The tentative agenda is as follows:
13.30 - 13.45 - Introduction
13.45 - 14.00 - State of IPv6 deployment in Southern Africa
14.00 - 14.15 - Presentation of AFRINIC IPv6 Deployment Challenges Survey
14.15 - 15.00 - Brainstorm on deployment challenges
15.00 - 15.30 - Break
15.30 - 15.45 - Present deployment KPIs
15.45 - 16.30 - Brainstorm solutions to drive deployments
16.30 - 16.45 - Presentation of AFRINIC IPv6 Program 2.0
More information about the Announce