[AFRINIC-Announce] AFRINIC Contributes to IETF Endowment

AFRINIC Communication comm-announce at afrinic.net
Thu Jul 21 14:25:38 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Leading Internet organisations, including AFRINIC, ARIN and the RIPE NCC, today announced a combined commitment of more than US$3 million for the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Endowment. The IETF is the Internet’s premiere technical standards body, gathering a large international community of network designers, operators, vendors and researchers concerned with the development and evolution of the Internet technologies and its architecture. The IETF Endowment will provide stable, long-term funding to support the IETF in its mission to make the Internet work better.

Alan Barrett, CEO of AFRINIC, said “Both AFRINIC and our members rely on the open standards created by the IETF, and have an interest in the sustainability of the IETF.  In particular, we would not have any IP addresses to manage if it were not for the IETF.  I am very pleased that we are able to contribute to the IETF Endowment.”

About the IETF Endowment

To protect open standards accessibility, the Internet Society has established the Endowment for the Sustainability of the Internet Engineering Task Force (or simply the IETF Endowment). The IETF Endowment will support the standards development initiatives of the Internet Engineering Task Force and provide long-term stability and increased diversity for funding IETF activities and operations.

	• Find out more information about the IETF Endowment at https://www.sustainietf.org/.
	• Read  the full press release at https://www.internetsociety.org/news/leading-companies-and-organizations-commit-over-us3m-internet-engineering-task-force-endowment.

AFRINIC Communication