[AFRINIC-announce] IANA Stewardship Transition Discussions List

Ashil Oogarah ashil at afrinic.net
Fri Jul 4 15:18:30 SAST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

As followup to our consultation in Djibouti during AIS’2014 we are launching a discussion online related the IANA stewardship transition. This mailing list provides a place for the African Internet community to discuss all matters relating to the IANA Oversight Transition process.

On 14 March 2014, the US Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) announced the intention to transition the oversight of key Internet functions, including the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), to the global Internet multi-stakeholder community.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions

The NTIA has asked ICANN to convene all stakeholders to develop a proposal to transition the current role played by NTIA in the coordination of the Internet’s domain name and number system. As one of IANA's key stakeholders, it is crucial that the AFRINIC community discusses and formulates effective input for submission into the oversight transition proposal in order to ensure that Africa and the Indian Ocean region's unique needs are taken into consideration.

You can find out more information about the oversight transition process, community consultations taking place throughout the region and beyond, and important dates and deadlines in our dedicated section on the AFRINIC website:

www.afrinic.net/en/community/iana-oversight-transition

All the 4 other RIRs will run a similar process and our hope is to be able to converge toward a common proposal that will be submitted to the ICANN process.

I am looking forward to discussing this important milestone in the development of the global Internet with you all.

Thanks,

Adiel Akplogan
See you in Mauritius for AFRINIC-21
November 22 to 28, 2014