[AFRINIC-announce] 16-bit ASN Depletion Date Nears

Babusha Radhakissoon babusha at afrinic.net
Wed Feb 5 10:21:12 SAST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Further to the recent announcement (21 January 2014)
<http://www.nro.net/news/2-byte-asn-nearing-depletion> from the Number
Resource Organization (NRO) <http://www.nro.net/> regarding the
approaching depletion of the 16-bit ASN pool, AFRINIC would like to
highlight the following to our members and the community:

  * AFRINIC is currently issuing AS numbers from a 32-bit
    (undifferentiated) pool according to the global policy
    <https://www.icann.org/en/resources/policy/global-addressing/global-policy-asn-blocks-21sep10-en.htm>
    adopted by ICANN on 20^th September 2010.

  * In-line with the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) policy
    for allocation of ASN blocks to Regional Internet Registries
    <https://www.icann.org/en/resources/policy/global-addressing/global-policy-asn-blocks-21sep10-en.htm>
    and according to our current consumption rates and those of the
    other RIRs, AFRINIC may not be able to acquire another block of
    16-bit only ASNs, as they may have been depleted by the other RIRs
    at the point in time when we would have requested a subsequent block.

  * We have (therefore) reserved 237 (16-bit only) ASNs. These are for
    unforeseen circumstances pertaining to the ongoing deployment and
    usage of 32-bit ASNs, such as the possibility that the equipment of
    a network operator's peers being not able to support 32-bit ASNs,
    among others.

AFRINIC strongly encourages our members and all network operators in the
community to check for 32-bit ASN functionality before purchasing new
equipment, and to upgrade current non-compliant equipment in order to
support the 32-bit ASN standard, as 16-bit only ASNs will soon be
depleted from the IANA pool, and will no longer be available by all RIRs
for assignment to network operators in their respective regions.

More information:
http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/news/993-16-bit-asn-depletion

Babusha Radhakissoon
Social Media/Online Engagement Officer, AFRINIC Ltd.
t:  +230 403 5100 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net
facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia
Join us at AIS'14 in Djibouti, 25 May - 6 June 2014