[AFRINIC-announce] New Bylaws addopted by the Board

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Mon Jan 21 20:05:03 SAST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I am please to announce that AFRINIC's new Bylaws have been adopted by
the Board and the new document is now available for consultation and
download at http://www.afrinic.net/multimedia/download/bylaws_2013.pdf.

This is the third version of the Bylaws that govern AFRINIC as an
organisation. This new document provides some critical changes to the way
the organisation works and operates. The new Bylaws are the outcome of a
natural evolution of both our community and organisation. It is imperative
to note that the changes experienced in our region as well as by our
community necessitated the changes to the Bylaws last adopted in 2007
(please see http://www.afrinic.net/en/about-us/bylaws/110-afrinic-bylaw for
the 2007 version of the Bylaws).

Some of the key changes in these new Bylaws include:

o  The restructuring of membership. We now have three categories of
   membership namely Resource Members, Registered Members and Associate
   Members.
o  The introduction of a formal Annual General Members' Meeting.
o  The formal provision for electronic voting.
o  The Introduction of a Nomination Committee with an extended scope of
   roles and responsibilities.
o  The reduction of the size of the Board from 13 to 9
o  The creation of a Council of Elders.

After going through a process that involved two phases of community input
and review, the AFRINIC Board approved the final text on 8 January 2013. As
per Resolution 201211.160, the new Bylaws come into effect on 1 January
2013 although the Board approved a gradual implementation of some aspects
of Section 13, specifically Section 13.4 which defines the structure of the
Board. In essence, Alternate Board Members will leave the Board gradually
as their term expires as from 2013. It will hence take up to 2015 to have a
Board that fully corresponds to the spirit of Section 13.4.

We would like to thank the community for their contributions to this
seminal document which marks a turning point in the life and operations of
AFRINIC.