[afrinic-discuss] End of WSIS phase II

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Tue Nov 22 18:30:10 SAST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

The WSIS negotiations ended a few days ago with quite a positive
result where in the final document, there is no change to the
Internet governance system as it is today. The document also
calls for the reinforcement of the actual regional organisation
by an increased participation by all stakeholders including
governments to the policy development process.

"We are very pleased that the policy development processes of
the Regional Internet Registries (RIR) have been recognized
and reinforced by the Tunis Agenda. Over the coming months and
beyond, we will continue our ongoing efforts to reach out to
governments, as well as to other stakeholders, in order to
exchange views on the Tunis outcomes and to develop priorities
for the future" said Axel Pawlik the chairman of the NRO.
(http://www.nro.net/archive/press-releases/wsis-20051117.html)

AfriNIC fully endorses this view and will continue its effort to
reach out to governments and all our stakeholders around the
continent.

The conclusion of the PrePcom for us is not the end but the
beginning of a long process where the actual governance
system must see more involvement from all the stakeholders
and particularly from governments.

In our region, the WSIS process had a very positive impact on
governments and policy makers as it seriously brings their
attention to the 'other side of the Internet', the governance
side and its possible impact on the countries' economies.

AfriNIC as one of the Internet governance players in Africa
will continue work closely with other stakeholders to reinforce
Africa participation in the Internet Governance process debates
so that our region voice is heard where needed.

We welcome you all to Cairo from 11 to 14 December 2005 at our
third public policy meeting and the first African IPv6 event.
(www.afrinic.net/meeting/afrinic-3)

Kind regards.

Adiel A. Akplogan
CEO, AfriNIC