[afrinic-discuss] Echo from AfriNIC-2

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Mon May 2 12:59:02 SAST 2005

Dear colleagues,

As you know AfriNIC had its second public policy meeting
and Annual General Meeting last week in Maputo. The meeting
has been a very successful one. While the full report is on
the way, let me give you here the key outcomes.

During the meeting AfriNIC has signed two important documents:

One allowing AfriNIC to formally join the NRO as full member
and the second one with the three former registries serving
our region on the effective transfer of authority to AfriNIC.

On the Afternoon of the first day, the community has elected
AfriNIC region representatives to the NRO NC. Two have been

elected:

- Jean Robert Hountomey for three years term (04/2005-12/2008)
- Sylvia Geha Kezengwa for two years term (04/2005-12/2007)

According to the new NRO MoU, the third representative must be
appointed by AfriNIC Board and Alan Barrett has been appointed
for one year term (04/2005-12/2006)

The next day has been mostly dedicated to the policies discussions
and the AGM.

The latest policies proposed on the policy-wg mailing list have
been discussed among the participants. As stated in our PDP, the
discussion must continue on line (to reach the 30 days). These
policies will be discussed again during the next public policies
meeting.

During the AGM, three majors points were on the Agenda:

1) Renewal of board seats 5 and 6:

* Didier Kasole and Gaetan Bouraga have been elected respectively
    as Primary and alternate for Central Africa (seat 5)

* Viv Padayatchy and Kenny Yiptong have been elected respectively
    as Primary and alternate for Indian Ocean Region (seat 6)

2) 2006/2007 budget has been adopted

3) A new fee schedule has been approved by members. Key changes
in this new fee schedule are:

       a) Membership-only fee droped from 400 USD to 100 USD

       b) Increase for Medium, Large and Extra Large membership

           fee as follow:

           Medium becomes       6,500 USD
           Large becomes        13,000 USD
           Extra Large becomes  20,000 USD

All the presentations will also be online soon.

We would like to thank all of you who were there and hope to continue
having  your feedback.

Kind regards.

Adiel A. Akplogan
CEO, AfriNIC