[afrinic-discuss] GISPA ’ s REACTION TO THE TERMINATION OF THE CCK BOARD AND DG

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Fri Mar 11 19:24:18 SAST 2005

Press Release
For immediate release
Friday 11th March, 2005 =96 Accra, Ghana

GISPA=92s REACTION TO THE TERMINATION OF THE CCK BOARD AND DG
The Ghana Internet Service Providers Association (GISPA, www.gispa.org.gh) =
is of the view that the recent action by the Minister of Information and Co=
mmunication of the Republic of Kenya is not only a bridge of due process bu=
t a sabotage not only to the Kenyan but Africa economy as a whole. We there=
fore join our comrades in the African Internet Service Providers Associatio=
n to utterly condemn this action and treat it with the contempt it deserves=
.

The action of the Minister begs the question =93is Africa a stable environm=
ent for investment=94 and this is more emphatic given that the minister too=
k this decision at a critical time of ICT sector liberalization in Kenya. C=
urrently over 100 companies await the processing of their licenses in order=
 to establish business, employ Kenyans and bring communications facilities =
and services to the economy, all this is halted by the ministers action.

The Communication Commission of Kenya (CCK) has grown to become a beckon of=
 hope for the regulatory institutions that we are building for this sector =
and hence the Director Generals appointment to the Chairman of the ITU Coun=
cil. His forward looking and visionary regulatory approach has attracted a =
lot of investment into the Kenya economy but the action of the Minister is =
a sure deterrent for the already existing investment and future ones. This =
confirms recent finding that the attraction of investment into the ICT sect=
or has being largely determined by the regulatory independence and transpar=
ency of such institutions.

We are of the view that the activities in Kenya are distorting the entire I=
CT sector in Africa and could have repetitive effects on the other sectors =
given that ICT is cross sectorial. This also sends a message out there that=
 governments in Africa are still disruptive and do not adhere to due proces=
s. We therefore join our comrades to not only condemn this action but deman=
d a re-instatement of the board and DG of the CCK. The minister should reso=
rt to due process if he has a problem with the dealings of the CCK.

About GISPA

The Ghana Internet Service Providers Association (GISPA, www.gispa.org.gh) =
is a non-profit trade corporation that represents the interest of Internet =
Service Providers (ISPs) and those interested in the provision of Internet =
service in Ghana. Our focus is to grow the Internet locally through lobbyin=
g for the right policies, negotiating transparent and independent regulator=
y frameworks and building networks to enhance easy, reliable and affordable=
 communication to the consumer.

GISPA is currently made up of GT ISP, InternetGhana, AfricaOnline, NCS, IDN=
, Tin-Ifa, Third Rail, AfricaExpress, BusyInternet, Netplux, K-Net, ITS, Ea=
sy Net, Broadband Home, Ecoband, Dart Communications and GS Telecom. Nanaya=
a Tina Owusu-Prempeh is the current President and Eric M.K Osiakwan is the =
Secretary.

--
Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary